Thursday 3 October 2019

Budapest — Terézváros and Erzsébetváros

The street on which I was staying is the boundary between two Budapest city districts Terézváros and Erzsébetváros, districts VI and VII respectively. Between them they house many of Budapest's cultural establishments, shops, restaurants, cafes, and nightlife spots. I was really in the middle of things.

I headed for Erzsébetváros where the Dohány Street Synagogue is. On the way I passed this statue of Sisi.

Similarly, Terézváros is named after Maria Theresa.
Behind her are these connected buildings with an arch straddling the street. It seems to be the Arcadia Hotel according to Maps.
On the opposite side of Károly körút is the Deák tér Lutheran Church and the Budapest Eye, which we will meet later, which are actually in district V.
The other direction of this green boulevard continues to Astoria, where I left off several days ago.
Mural of Ángel Sanz Briz, a saviour of Hungarian Jews, on Dob street.
The octagonal towers with onion domes of the Synagogue.
The main entrance. I did not take a tour as it was quite crowded and a bit pricey, and I had to be back at the Opera in an hour for tour.
Lots of tourists waiting.
A pop art Rubik's Cube on Rumbach Sebestyén St, off Dob St. Rubik was Hungarian, of course.
This was actually taken after the Opera tour, but also in the Erzsébetváros district. It's on Akácfa St.
Close by is this mural of a woman with a strawberry hat enjoying a drink through a long straw.

I didn't know Budapest, and Erzsébetváros in particular, was such a mecca for street art. And it seems new ones are added all the time. I would have taken a tour had I known.
This is what I was after, walking through district VII, strudel filled with poppy seed at Strudel Hugó. I tried the traditional style, as well as with sour cherry and chocolate, which is not traditional, but works very well. I took one away to enjoy later in my room.
On the way back to my lodgings I came across this poster on an empty shop's window. It looked official but I couldn't believe what I was reading. Later a friend explained that this was a parody produced by the Two-tailed Dog Party (their logo is at bottom right). The poster was intended to highlight the disrepair of Király Street to shame the authorities into fixing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment