Tuesday 1 October 2019

Pécs 2 — Tettye

Breakfast was served in a cozy dining room. The pleasant young staff seemed to be training in hospitality.

My train wasn't until early afternoon so I left my luggage with reception and went for a walk to Tettye (page in Hungarian, use Translate) which is in the hills backing Pécs and has a great view over the city and plains.
But I'm getting ahead of myself. First I have to get there.

I found the walking trail up the hill. A water channel wheel ran alongside for a while.
Approaching the ruins and public area.
Street furniture and fountain.
Detail of the fountain.
The ruins and an iron viewing platform.
A school group was on an excursion.
The street furniture from above.
The access road and a small vineyard.
The stone blocks are more modern.
As is this outdoor art.
A portal in the ruins.
Detail of the stonework.

There wasn't much information on site, even in Hungarian, about the ruins. I guess it doesn't attract much attention from tourism and locals regard it as just part of their heritage. The Hungarian Wikipedia page seems to have the most information.
Another part of the complex.
The access road and beyond, the plains to the south.
Sculpture celebrating Pécs Capital of Culture in 2010 project.
I liked this tree hollow.
One last look.

There was a wine garden on site, but I didn't feel like having anything this early in the day so decided to descend to the city to look for lunch before leaving Pécs.

No comments:

Post a Comment