Friday 4 October 2019

Budapest — Belváros-Lipótváros

The plan for the morning of this last day was to explore district V, Belváros-Lipótváros, the latter named after King Leopold II, a part of Pest that I had not given enough attention to previously. Lipótváros holds St. Stephen's Basilica, government buildings, public buildings and high-end hotels.

I started at the southern part of district V, Belváros, at Fövám Tér. The intent was to walk up the Danube Promenade and turn inland.
Sun and water bathing locals.
Very long cruise boat, Liberty Statue on the hill, and Elisabeth Bridge. As you can see it was a clear day, but I recall it was a little nippy.
A better view of the bridge.
The Rudas Baths on the Buda bank, another thermal bath complex.
Buda castle again.
Somehow I missed the Little Princess statue, but I came across Dunai Szél (Danube Wind) on the grounds of a hotel. It's not well known as I had to search for it. A couple of reviews give details, that it was created in 1937, relocated several times, and the original is in the Hungarian National Gallery.

Fascinating how the sculptor has managed to suggest a translucent skirt in stone. Budapest would seem to be a treasure trove of sculpture from the number of results returned when I went searching.
The Vigado concert hall.
The fountain in Vigado square.
Deák Ferenc street lined with high-end stores.
Vörösmarty square with a statue to the poet.
The Café Gerbeaud dating from 1858. Budapest is also a treasure trove of cafes.
A search shows that this is the Hungarian Ministry of Finance on József Nádor square (page in Hungarian).
The quirky porcelain sculpture Herendi életfa is also here.
A passage within the Ministry of Finance building led me to…
The Budapest Eye.
Customers lining up.
Photographers at the Danubius fountain trying to capture the whole ferris wheel.
Lovers' padlocks probably.
St. Stephen's Basilica.
A frontal view.

And that was the end of my exploration of district V. A short walk found me at Elisabeth Square where Andrássy Avenue begins. I descended into the metro to teleport to another area for more adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment