Saturday 5 October 2019

The journey home

My flight was late in the afternoon, so there were some hours between check out and boarding. The forecast was for rain later so I decided that instead of lunching in the city I would take it at the airport. Budapest doesn't have a metro connection to its airport but there is a dedicated bus service. When I got there the luggage check-in hadn't started so I took advantage of the prayer room to rest and recharge my phone. Some Muslims came to use it for a while, and we nodded in goodwill. Then a coffee to wake up, and finally I was able to go airside.

The departure lounges were more spacious. I got a fairly decent lunch of Japanese noodles, followed by dessert. The remainder of my forints and korunas I put in a donation box. The Euros from Slovakia I retained.
As day dimmed, I boarded my flight to Doha, where I would spend a day in stopover. It was quite a different experience so I'll blog that somewhere else.

And so it was goodbye to Central Europe. The countries I visited have had a long history in culture and science. Prague and Budapest appeared often in the itineraries of European composers for example. It is because of the last century of European history that we tend to associate Europe with the Western part. Central Europe is great for seeing buildings of other eras.

No comments:

Post a Comment