Saturday 14 September 2019

Prague 2 morning

Saturday is market day in European cities. After a satisfying buffet breakfast, Kristina explained how to reach the markets on foot. Instead of walking across the rail bridge of yesterday, I took Palackého Most, a road and tram bridge to the north of that.
The Náplavka Farmers Market is on the east bank of the Vltava.
An essential of life.
More variety.
Smallgoods.
Where would Central European cuisine be without potatoes?
They do have veggies, it's not all carbs and meat.
Pretty good looking tomatoes too.
Food for the eye.
I did try a sausage with mustard. It was flavourful but too salty for my taste.
Not just food but also wooden utensils and carvings are sold here.
I didn't try the poppy seed strudel here but got some later.
The sausage made me thirsty so I got a tumbler of real apple cider (non-alcoholic). Very fresh and tasty.
The vendor, filling a large order.
Musical entertainment at the entrance to the market.
After leaving the market, instead of walking along the river like the previous evening, I crossed to a street inland. On the way I passed these posters for the Czech Pirate Party.
I walked through Karlovo náměstí (park) where there is a view of the New Town Hall.
There are pretty rose bushes, but the effect of the colourful blooms is lost in small photos.
I made my way north on Spálená which is lined with many historic buildings. One reason Prague architecture is relatively well preserved is because the city was not as heavily bombed during WWII as others.
Behind the very modern OC Quadrio, full of upmarket shops as good as in any other European city, is Kafka's Head, a dynamic structure of many metal sections which is constantly and sporadically rotating so as to shift its gaze. Naturally there were a lot of photographers.

To be continued in Wenceslas Square postmeridian.

No comments:

Post a Comment