Thursday 19 September 2019

Český Krumlov — lower town

Another example of how convenient the apartment in Smichov was: Na Knížecí, the bus station where services for the south departed was just 100 m walk away. I had bought a Regiojet bus ticket to Český Krumlov, passing through České Budějovice. However I would only spend the day in Český Krumlov and overnight in České Budějovice, using part of the return service.
About 3 hours after departure, we fetched up at this nondescript Český Krumlov bus station. I had determined that there were lockers in the station where I could store my suitcase for the day. Fortunately I could pay with a credit card as the machine did not accept cash.

BTW, Český means Bohemian and distinguishes this town from another Krumlov in Moravia.
The town is built on the banks of a pronounced meander in the Vltava. As a result, the roads there are twisty. Even today, I had to search for the bus station on the map. It's to the east of the meander. Fortunately the walking path is well signposted. This is the view of attractive red tiled roofs approaching the town.
The municipal theatre (I had worked out previously that Divadlo means theatre in Czech). The dramatic arts seem well represented in Czechia.
On the way to the town centre. There is plenty of swank accommodation in CK.
I liked the design of this wall.
One side of the town centre with the tourist office.
Going anticlockwise.
Maps tells me that this is the Fountain and Plague Column.
Walking down the narrow street towards Lazebnický most (bridge) with the castle towering over the town.
Colourful shop with signs of past eras.
Maps tells me this is the Museum Of Commerce. It may not look like much but apparently there are "shop scenes with old cash registers, scales and products give visitors a quick glimpse into life just before and after the turn of the last century, prior to the Czechoslovakia gaining independence from the Habsburg Empire in 1918", according to that web page. And free too. I'm almost sorry I didn't have a squiz.
The bridge to the other bank of the Vltava.
A nice riverside hotel to get food and drink.
Riverside tables.
Lots of people like this fairy tale town.
Paddlers. Notice the diversion of part of the river to a mill.
I decided it was time to stop for lunch so I found through the Internet (thank goodness for smartphones) a restaurant with reasonable prices. It was in the basement of a guesthouse.
And this was my lunch. Standard Czech fare but full of carbs due to the flour dumplings. Not exactly to my taste, but was filling.

To be continued after lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment